From its beginning in 1939 as the Chateau Co-op Dining Club, the nonprofit organization now known as Riverton Community Housing has served many thousands of students of the University of Minnesota and nearby colleges by making the pursuit of their educational goals more accessible. With shifting market conditions and the growing need for affordable housing in the late 1960’s – early 1970’s, the student-run board worked with multiple public and private partners to replace the dining co-op with 127 apartments. Thus the 20-story Chateau Student Housing Cooperative was born; the first students moved in for the start of classes in the fall of 1973.
The Chateau was so successful that there has been a waiting list ever since the doors opened. To expand the amount of member-controlled affordable housing, the Chateau board formed a “parent” nonprofit organization. Four more housing cooperatives and a rental townhome community have been added since 1995, putting the current total number of housing units at 434.
Riverton is now growing in ways the original members of the Chateau board could only dream about, and will keep on “creating cooperatives, shaping communities” for another 40 years or more!
The main Riverton office is located in the Chateau Co-op, right in the heart of Dinkytown, just where it started out in 1939. 4th Street and Marshall Co-op are within blocks of the Chateau, also in Dinkytown. Marcy Park Co-op is a few blocks away in the Marcy Holmes neighborhood, still very close to the East Bank. Cole is in the SE Como neighborhood, for those looking for a home that is close to campus but not right in Dinkytown. Franklin Co-op is in the Seward neighborhood, close to the West Bank and Augsburg College.